Sunday, March 3, 2019

Harvard kills off free perma links


NEWS FLASH (03/12/2019)

Dersh sees Rico bombshell in elite school scandal

https://1010wcsi.com/fox-news/elite-college-cheating-scandal-arrests-the-tip-of-the-iceberg-harvard-law-professor-alan-dershowitz/
Funny how link rot is especially effective in making my pages, and citations of them, vanish.

So I thought Harvard Library Innovation Lab at the Harvard Law School Library was doing people like me a favor by permitting us to mirror 10 pages a month for free with its Perma.cc site. Perma.cc is administered by a consortium of libraries, with each library assisting its local users.

Well, all good things must come to an end, especially for certain critics.

Last month, I was able to post my allotted 10 pages. This month I was taken aback (not terribly so) to find that my allotment is zero. The Harvard group had changed the rules for individual users.

On Perma.cc's home page (which didn't show up on Google) I learned that "New users are able to create ten free links on a trial basis. Once you've used your trial, individuals not affiliated with a registrar must sign up for a paid subscription."

Bang! Just like that. No warning. No explanation.

But by golly it's a free country. The First Amendment guarantees the Harvard bunch the right to conceal its reasons for repealing Harvard's altruistic gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write Assange at Belmarsh

Write Assange at the following address: Julian Assange DOB 3rd July 1971 HMP Belmarsh Prison Western Way London, SE28 0EB You must put ...